William Sims Stone
Bill is a trial lawyer from Blakely, Georgia, who specializes in personal injury, wrongful death, professional malpractice, product liability, commercial and consumer fraud cases. The firm’s predecessor was founded in 1915 by Bill’s grandfather, the late Wm. Lowrey Stone. Past members of the firm include Bill’s father, Lowrey S. Stone, who formerly served as Chief Judge of Superior Courts, Pataula Judicial Circuit.
Bill was born in Dothan, Alabama, on August 19, 1953. He attended the public schools in Early County, Georgia and graduated from Early County High School in 1971. He attended the University of Georgia College of Business Administration and received a Bachelor’s Degree in Business Administration with a major in accounting on graduation in 1975. Bill also attended the Netherlands Institute of Industrial Economics near Amsterdam in The Netherlands in 1973.
Bill received his Juris Doctor Degree from the University of Georgia School of Law in 1977. He was admitted to practice law in the state of Georgia in 1977 and in the state of Alabama in 1985. He is also member of the bars of the United States District Courts for the Middle and Northern Districts of Georgia, the Middle District of Alabama, and the Central District of Illinois, as well as the United States Courts of Appeals for the Fifth and Eleventh Circuits.
The publishers of the Martindale Hubble Law Directory have awarded Bill its highest rating (AV) for legal ability and integrity.
Bill is a Life Member and past president of the Georgia Trial Lawyers Association and is also a member of the American Bar Association, the State Bar of Georgia, the Alabama State Bar, the American Association for Justice, and the Southwest Georgia Trial Lawyers Association.
Bill has served on the Georgia Judicial Nominating Commission that recommends candidates to the Governor for appointment to vacant judgeships in Georgia. He has authored a number of published articles and is a frequent lecturer at legal seminars on the subject of trial practice and tort law.
Bill is a past president of the Blakely Rotary Club, and a member of the First United Methodist Church of Blakely.
Bill has five children, Ryals, also a member of Boone & Stone, Katie, James, John and Andrew.
- Georgia, 1977
- Alabama, 1985
- U.S. District Court Middle District of Georgia
- U.S. District Court Northern District of Georgia
- U.S. District Court Middle District of Alabama
- U.S. Court of Appeals 5th Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals 11th Circuit
- U.S. District Court Middle District of Florida
- University of Georgia School of Law, Athens, Georgia
- J.D. – 1977
- University of Georgia, Athens, Georgia
- B.B.A. – 1975
- Major: Accounting
- Early County High School – 1971
- Netherlands Institute of Industrial Economics – 1973
- An Overview of the Proposed Judicial Article, The Verdict, (GLTA), August, 1981
- Civic Rico Can be a Powerful Weapon in the Trial Lawyer’s Arsenal, The Verdict, (GLTA), October, 1988
- Emotional Distress – The Impact Rule – Adding Injury to Insult, The Verdict, (GLTA), April/May, 1990
- Charing the Jury in a Wrongful Death Case: Have You Given Them a Proper Yardstick to Measure the Full Value of a Human Life?, The Verdict, (GLTA), January/February, 1993
- Thoughts on Jury Trials, The Verdict, (GLTA), Fall, 1996
- Presenting Your Case: High Tech for High Stakes, The Verdict, (GLTA), Fall, 1997
Honors and Awards
- AV rated by Martindale-Hubbell
- State Bar of Georgia, General Practice and Trial Section – Traditions of Excellence Award (Plaintiff’s Practice), 2016
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Georgia Trial Lawyers Association, Life Member and past president
- American Association for Justice, Member
- State Bar of Georgia, Advertising Regulation Committee
- Georgia Judicial Nominating Commission
- State Bar of Georgia, Member
- Alabama State Bar, Member
- Southwest Georgia Trial Lawyers Association, Member
Pro Bono Activities
- Blakely Rotary Club, past president
- First United Methodist Church of Blakely, member
Over $1.2 Billion Recovered For Our Clients
- $1,250,000.00 Judgment Broward Co. Gates v. Goldstone (1985)
- $5,600,000.00 Judgment Associated Air v. Broward County Aviation (1990)
- $4,000,000.00 Jury Verdict Palm Beach County Estate of Sullivan v. Sullivan (1994)
- $785,000.00 Jury Verdict Dougherty Co Cleveland v. Albany Urology Clinic P.C. et al. (1996)
- $16,400,000.00 Jury Verdict Clark v. Security Life Insurance Co. (1997)
- $12,220,400.00 Jury Verdict Charleston Malone v. General Motors, (1998)
- $5,260,800.00 Jury Verdict Clay County Johns v. Cherokee Trucking Company (1999)
- $1,959,150.00 Jury Verdict Duvall County James Sealey v. Fire & Casualty Ins. Co. (2001)
- $880,209.00 Jury Verdict Lee v. Kennestone Hospital, (2001)
- $250,000.00 Jury Verdict Rucker v. Knight Trucking et al. (2006)
See Our Results